LA HAP Bulletin for 5/23/18
Changes to AlwaysCare dental & vision policies
After being purchased by Unum, AlwaysCare has begun making changes to their coverage policies and is transitioning to work exclusively in the group market. They have recently announced that beginning August 1st 2018, they will no longer be writing individual market dental and vision policies. Here is some relevant information for LA HAP clients:
- Standalone AlwaysCare dental and/or vision polices that are currently active will be grandfathered in and benefits will continue as long as policyholders’ premium payments are up to date.
- While this is Always Care’s current policy, we have no information about if or when this policy will change in the future.
- Because of this policy, it is very important for clients who regularly use dental services to stay current with premium payments by avoiding any lapse in LA HAP eligibility.
- At the moment, AlwaysCare is continuing to accept new enrollees in their individual market; however, no new policies will be written after July 31st
- Clients who have a group AlwaysCare policy (e.g. through their employer) are not affected by this announcement and should not expect any changes to their benefits (unless initiated by their employer or group administrator).
LA HAP is considering several recommendations for dental coverage going forward. We will be in touch with you soon about any recommendations or policy changes. In the meantime, please keep in mind:
- Other standalone dental and vision plan options exist for our clients and are not subject to any Open Enrollment Period;
- Dental services are covered more liberally than other HIP services—for example, clients can access services before they’ve moved out of the insurer-imposed waiting period or after they’ve reached their annual maximum. For a refresher on what is covered for LA HAP clients with dental insurance, see our Bulletin from 6-21-18 or our HIP Dental Provider Packet.
Changes to LA HAP staff
We are pleased to announce that Matthew Arnold is the new Drug Assistance Program Coordinator at LA HAP! Matt will be working closely with Ramsell to ensure smooth access to medications for our clients, and will share responsibility with Erin and Alicia for the overall administration of LA HAP.